Wednesday, May 20, 2009

H2O research

So a friend of mine asked about our weight loss plan over the last weekend. He was wondering how safe is it to be drinking that much water.



This has caused me to do some additional research and there is something of a bit of concern in this area. People who drink lots of water may be subject to proteinuria which means that this is abnormal and can cause kidney damage long term.



The average amount of water consumed on the study that I explored was quite a bit higher than what we are doing (almost double of what I recommend) so I think that we are OK, but I'm planning on getting a urine test for this done in the near future. The burning question is how much is too much?



The good news is that if a person has proteinuria you just need to drink less fluids and the symptoms go away. I will be happy to share the results of my tests with the blog, and if we need to cut back on the amount of water we drink each day I will be good with that.



In the mean time if you wish to cut back on your H20 until we know more about this. That's OK too.

No comments:

Post a Comment